Whether your job is physically demanding or more sedentary, incorporating stretching into your daily routine benefits your overall health and well-being.
Here are some ways consistent stretching for a few minutes a day can make your everyday activities easier and more comfortable:
Improve your range of motion and increase flexibility
Regular stretching can elongate muscles and tissues, increasing elasticity and reducing stiffness.
Reduce your risk of injury and help prevent pain
Stretching can make muscles more adaptable to movement and less prone to strain or tearing.
Decrease your stress and calm your mind
Muscles tend to tighten in response to stress. Stretching can provide both physical and mental health benefits.
If you want to prevent muscle stiffness caused by sitting for long periods of time or alleviate muscle soreness caused by consistent movement, here are some stretches you can try to incorporate into your day:
- Sit up tall and rotate your neck to look to each side, look up and down, and put each ear to each shoulder.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and clasp your hands behind your back. Gently lift your arms up and away from your body.
- With arms outstretched in front, alternate between pulling the palm and back of the hand towards you.
- Clasp hands together overhead. Slowly bend to one side from the hips until stretch is felt. Repeat on the opposite side. This can be done sitting or standing.
- Start with your chin to your chest and slowly roll down until you’re hanging forwards completely relaxed. This can be done sitting or standing.