Sponsoring an employee health benefits plan is a big investment, so it makes sense that you want your employees to get the most out of the plan. Along with great benefits, it’s also important for your employees to have a great benefits experience. This extends to the tools that are available for them to interact with the plan (eg. website and mobile app). If employees aren’t familiar with the tools that are available to them, they’re probably not getting the full employee health benefits experience.
A High Tech Experience
These days, technology can make all the difference in the kind of health benefits experience that your employees have. A good, user-friendly web portal is a must. An accompanying mobile app (often a modified version of the website) is another important tool. Together, a website and mobile app can transform the traditional health benefits experience into so much more. Plan Members can access all sorts of information and complete common claims activities at any hour of the day or night. This includes:
- Benefits Coverage – Plan members can access current benefits coverage information, including who is covered under the plan and what exactly is covered. The remaining balances (by benefit) for each family member covered under the plan are also available.
- Benefits Card – A digital version of the employee benefits card is available. Plan members can print off a picture of their card or access the digital version to show providers. This way, if the physical card is misplaced, the employee always has easy access to a digital card.
- Past Claims Information – Plan members can view past claims and claims-in-progress in real-time. This way they can view payment amounts and how much of a claim has been covered in the past. They can also look at the status of a recently submitted claim.
- Online Claims Submission – One of the biggest factors in a positive claims experience is the ability to submit health benefit claims online. Using a mobile app, it’s easy for a plan member to make an online claim and upload a photo of the applicable receipt. This dramatically speeds up the claims process.
- Direct Deposit – Hand in hand with online claims submission is direct deposit of covered claims. Once an online claim has been processed, the covered amount is deposited directly into the plan member’s bank account. This is another game-changer when compared to traditional claims. In the past, a covered plan member would have to wait for a cheque to be mailed, then would have to take it to the bank. Compare this with direct deposit and there is a significant time saving for the plan member.
- Articles and Information – Plan members can often access health and wellness and benefits-related articles and information through the benefits website or mobile app. This is a way for plan members to find credible information on employee benefits and helpful tools for health and wellness.
- Nearby providers – Plan members can use a search tool to discover nearby providers for covered benefits. For example, if the plan member needed to visit a physiotherapist, they could search for providers in the immediate area. The search results often include reviews of the provider and whether or not they have direct billing.
- Contact Info – The benefits website and mobile app also provide the correct contact info if the plan member needs to speak to someone about their employee benefits.
Advantages of a High-Tech Employee Benefits Experience
It goes without saying that user-friendly technology can improve the employee benefits experience for plan members and save them a lot of time. There are also other important benefits for you, the plan sponsor.
- Improved Retention – If your employees have a better understanding of the benefits you’re providing as well as user-friendly technology to help them use those benefits, they’re likely to be more satisfied with you as their employer. Employees who are satisfied with their employer are less likely to seek employment elsewhere.
- Increased Productivity – If your employees are using the technology you’ve provided, they’ll have an easier time accessing benefits and getting reimbursed for their coverage. Benefits are meant to support the health of your employees, and healthy employees are more productive employees.
- Decrease Workload for HR – User-friendly technology like a benefits website and mobile app can allow plan members to access all sorts of benefits information. As a result, they are less likely to reach out to their Human Resources department with simple benefits-related questions. This frees up HR to deal with more complicated issues and questions related to the employee benefits plan.
Good Advice is Key
Are you interested in providing your employees with technology that improves their benefits experience? Does your current employee benefits website and mobile app stack up? Review your options with one of our licensed advisors on the phone, or contact us for a comparison quote.
Whether you’re looking for extended health and dental coverage, disability coverage, or life and critical illness coverage, GroupHEALTH has affordable benefits packages that work as hard as you do.