Canada’s Original Mid-Term Disability®

By changing one letter, we’re saving clients 10 – 15% on the cost of disability… permanently. Canada’s Original Mid-Term Disability® is another example of what’s possible when you don’t just accept the status quo.

Disability insurance provides protection when Plan Members are prevented from working and paying expenses due to a disability. Traditionally, there have been two types of disability insurance – Short-term Disability (STD) and Long-term Disability (LTD). We’ve never been too ‘traditional’ so now, thanks to GroupHEALTH’s innovative thinking and persistence, there is a third option – Canada’s Original Mid-term Disability® (MTD).

A traditional LTD reserve can be expensive – it’s 40% of the benefit cost! The remaining 60% goes toward claims (40%) and expenses (20%). Traditional LTD also requires your organization to set-up extensive reserves, typically 50 months on average, at the inception of LTD Own Occupation, even though less than 30% of claims make it past the LTD Any Occupation period.

Our development of MTD was a direct result of customer needs in a specific industry with particularly high long-term disability costs. The savings generated were well into six figures. Working closely with our insurer partners, we found a solution that was sitting there all along. It simply required someone to ask “why can’t we do it differently?”

Contact Us

Learn how we can help you with your employee benefits.

Start with a Free Consultation